Walsgrave on Sowe, St Mary, West Midlands
|Bells:||6; 6-1-15 in B|
|Practice Night:||Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm (Check)|
|Service Ringing:||By arrangement|
|Recommended Pub:||The Red Lion, Ansty Rd, Coventry, West Midlands CV2 2EY Tel: 024 7661 2168|
|Contact:||The Society Secretary Click to Email |
Rev M Tyler, St Mary's Church and Parish Centre, Hall Lane, Walsgrave, Coventry CV2 2AW Tel: 024 7661 5152 Email
History of the Bells
The bells at this church were an unringable 7½cwt 5 for many years until in mid 1980s when they were recast and rehung. A peal of Bob Doubles was rung on the bells in 23/4/1927. It was noted at this time that the ringing conditions were difficult, suggesting that for over 60 years the bells were in need of attention.
The inscriptions on the old bells were repeated in facsimile on the new ones. One is ?Harke doe ye heare our claperes want beer? and the other "Quantum suffiifit bibiere volo clancula vos a" - not easy to translate from Latin, but clearly a reference to the beer-drinking habits of bellringers!. The trebles wwere Taylor of Oxford bells of 1843, the third a Taylor of Loughborough bell of 1872, the fourth and tenor were William Bagley bells of 1702.
The old frame was of late Seventeenth Century in date, built originally for four bells, with a square void in the middle. When the bells were augmented to 5 in 1843 the pit of the second bell was turned altered to accommodate the five bells. This frame was originally re-erected in the churchyard when the completely new installation was provided, but has subsequently had to be be demolished due to the activities of local youths in the churchyard.
The new H-frame and fittings are typical Taylors of the period.
There is an old post with 4 bell call changes on it in the tower that shows they were once an anticlockwise 4. See Chris Pickford's article which is in Ringing World of 20/27 December 1985 pp.1078-80 for fuller details.
The church, situated in a village that has gradually been absorbed to a large degree by Coventry, is on the A4600, the main dual-carriageway road from Junction 2 of the M6 towards Coventry and is near to Walsgrave Hospital and hence most nearby streets have parking restrictions .It is usually best to park in the pub car park, The Red Lion just after the church. Take your parking ticket to the bar for a discount of your post-ring refreshments! The church is small but pretty, with a sympathetic modern extension on the south side, through which entry is normally gained. The "Sowe" in the title is a small river that flows nearby.
The Warwick University ringers started to practice here at the beginning of 2015. The ringers are aiming to practice throughout the year, but visitors are advised to check first that a given practice will take place using the email link above.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||2-2-04||22.375"||1682.0Hz||(G#+22c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||3-1-08||24.00"||1492.0Hz||(F#+14c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||3-1-09||24.875"||1325.0Hz||(E+9c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||3-3-00||26.00"||1251.0Hz||(D#+9c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||4-1-23||28.50"||1111.0Hz||(C#+4c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1984||6-1-15||32.125"||986.0Hz||(B-3c)|