Warwick St Nicholas, Warwickshire
|Bells:||8; 15-2-20 in F|
|Practice Night:||Wednesday 7.30 - 9.00pm (2 & 4. Check which tower on 5th)|
|Service Ringing:||9.30 -10.00am|
|Recommended Pub||The Punch Bowl, 1 The Butts, Warwick, CV34 4SS. Tel: 01926 403846 |
The Wild Boar, 27 Lakin Rd, Warwick, CV34 5BU Tel: 01926 499968.
New Bowling Green 13 St Nicholas Church Street, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 4JD Tel: 01926 411470.
|Contact:||Mr G W Randall, 63 Cliffe Way, Warwick CV34 5JG Click to Email|
The Warwick band of ringers has over 15 members ranging from those new to the art to regular peal ringers.
New members, including beginners, are always gladly received into the band. Teaching sessions for beginners are run at St Nicholas by experienced tutors at mutually convenient times. Why not contact the ringers and arrange a taster session?
Visitors of all abilities are welcome to join the band for practice and service ringing. Ringing is always tailored to the abilities of those present. Typically at St Mary’s the methods rung are Stedman and Surprise Royal; on Sunday mornings Surprise Minor and doubles methods are normal. At St Nicholas the band concentrates on Stedman and standard Surprise Major methods. Plain methods and call changes are also rung at both towers.
History of the Bells
The bells here were unringable for about 30 years until being recast and rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame by Taylors in 1957. These were a ring of 6 by Richard Keene, 1695. The treble and tenor were recast by Matthew Bagley in 1770 & 1773. The fifth was recast by Edward Arnold in 1798. The third was recast by C & G Mears in 1849 and the treble again was recast in 1877 by Mears and Stainbank. The ring was made into an octave a decade later.
Tilley & Walters note that there were 5 bells by 1552. The 3rd and 4th were recast in 1554-59 by Newcombe of Leicester and there were other, unspecified, recasts in 1561, 1562 and 1565. In 1571 another bell was recast. Another bell, the 4th, was recast by Dankes and Baker in 1619. All went quiet until 1695!
They are an excellent ring of 8 that is popular with peal ringers. Recently there has been adjustable sound control added and this should maintain this church's position as the leading pealed tower in the Coventry Diocese.
This church is easily spotted when coming from the Coventry side of town. It has a spire and is set on the opposite side of a roundabout to the corner of the castle walls. Limited parking is available for cars in the churchyard, enter along St Nicholas Church Street. There is a pay and display car park round to the left at the roundabout at the end of the street. Entry is by the tower stairs on the north side.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||4-1-13||26.00"||1401.0Hz||(F+5c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||5-0-04||27.125"||1321.0Hz||(E+3c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||5-0-12||28.00"||1173.0Hz||(D-2c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||5-1-27||30.375"||1044.0Hz||(C-4c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||6-1-11||32.50"||928.0Hz||(Bb-8c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||7-3-15||34.875"||875.0Hz||(A-10c)|
|7||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||11-0-12||39.00"||775.5Hz||(G-19c)|
|8||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1957||15-2-20||43.875"||691.0Hz||(F-19c)|