Ullenhall, St Mary the Virgin, Warwickshire
|Bells:||8; 3-0-25 in Eb - Anticlockwise.|
|Contact:||Jayne Mackay, 6 Aspley Heath Lane, Tanworth-in-Arden, Solihull B94 5HU Click to Email|
History of the Bells
A small ring of bells in a very small tower! The bells were cast for the new church in the village which was builtin 1874-5, the architect being John Paul Seddon of London. It was built in memory of William and Mary Newton of Barrells Part, at the expense of their sons and daughters. This donation included the ring of bells. Note that the tower is so small that the louvres have to be "bowed" in order that there is enough room for these bells to swing. They were installed under the supervision of William Martin who was responsible for the erection of the church. James E Hawkins was killed whilst helping to install the bells, falling some 38 feet down the scaffolding.
The frame is ingenious. It is a "double decker" Maltese Cross in shape, with the bells in pairs at the end of the arms, odd bells over even bells. There is a "hole" in the middle of the frame directly above the trapdoor to allow for access.
Somewhat ironically, the one word inscriptions on bells 7-1 make up the phrase: "Come let us make a joyful noise". the tenor is inscribed "CAST BY JOHN WARNER AND SONS LONDON 1874" and on its waist
EN (shield) MRN
In the shield are three battle-axes, the arms of the Newton family, of Barrells. It is lozenge shaped to indicate female ownership of the property. The initials are of Elizabeth and Mary Rose Newton, the donors.
They are loud inside, (ensure that the traps are in place as the clock winder sometimes leaves them out). They handle reasonably well for their weight but the front two or three are very tricky the inexperienced may find them a little too light and anticlockwise! The ladder in the middle of the rope circle will need moving more to the vertical in order to ring the two trebles. Don't try to ring them too fast, try about 3 hours peal speed. Note the "Acme" brand mangle via which all 8 bells can be chimed.
The church is signposted to the west off the road through the village. Park in front of the church and enter via the door round the back of the tower, i.e. at the base of the tower on the right of the photograph.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Warner, London||1874||1¼cwt||17.50"||2467.6Hz||(Ec-15c)|
|2||John Warner, London||1874||1½cwt||17.625"||2193.8Hz||(D-81c)|
|3||John Warner, London||1874||1¾cwt||19.00"||1822.8Hz||(C-89c)|
|4||John Warner, London||1874||2cwt||20.00"||1804.0Hz||(Bb+57c)|
|5||John Warner, London||1874||2¼cwt||21.00"||1624.0Hz||(Ab-39c)|
|6||John Warner, London||1874||2½cwt||21.625"||1492.2Hz||(G+86c)|
|7||John Warner, London||1874||2¾cwt||23.75"||1351.8Hz||(F-57c)|
|8||John Warner, London||1874||3-0-25||25.00"||1219.6Hz||(Eb-35c)|