Newbold on Avon, St Botolph, Warwickshire
|Bells:||10; 12-0-1 in F|
|Practice Night:||Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm (by arrangement only)|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 10:00am-10:45am; 6:00pm-6:25pm (Not all. Please confirm first)|
|Recommended Pubs:||The Barley Mow, 64 Main Street, Newbold, Rugby, Warwickshire CV21 1HW. Tel: 01788 544174 |
The Boat Inn, 62 Main Street, Newbold on Avon, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 1HW. Tel :07388 537999
|Contacts:||Mrs Val Foster, 32 Mulberry Road, Bilton, Rugby CV22 7TD Tel: 01788 814489 Click to Email |
John Slack, 74 Chapel Street, Long Lawford, Rugby CV23 9BE Tel: 01788 570899
History Of The Bells
Set on the main road through the village this church is right beside the old route of the Oxford canal. Though re-routed in the 19th century you can still see the original course to the west of the church. The church itself is pleasant and it contains the only ring of 10 in the Rugby Deanery.
The existing four bells were recast into 5 at the expense of the parish and a further treble added at the cost of the vicar in 1792 at a cost of £91. The canons were removed and the bells retuned and turned in 1929.
The bells were a ground floor ring of 6 up to 1977. They were rehung with a new frame and fittings by Taylors in 1929, but have since been augmented twice first to 8, some thirty years after this was first proposed, and then to 10 and, in between, moved upstairs. The augmentation to 8 necessitated an additional frame above the main one to hold bells three and four. The parish bought two bells from Everton cum Tetworth in Bedfordshire with a combined weight of 6½cwt to use in the casting of the 1977 trebles. The upper frame was extended on augmentation to 10. Bells 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 & 10 are in the lower frame and the others in the upper frame.
Nicholson's carried out work to the bells to improve their odd-struckness in 2005/6.
The tenor's frequency equates to F#+8c and is therefore not in F as has been recorded in Dove up to 2007.
There is limited parking by the churchyard gate and the entrance is on the north side of the tower.
Details Of The Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1992||3-2-16||23.50"||1874.0Hz||(A#+9c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1992||3-2-22||24.25"||1668.0Hz||(G#+7c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1977||3-3-18||25.375"||1488.0Hz||(F#+9c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1977||4-2-18||26.325"||1402.0Hz||(E#+6c)|
|5||John Briant, Hertford||1792||5-0-26||29.50"||1249.0Hz||(D#+6c)|
|6||John Briant, Hertford||1792||5-3-04||31.00"||1114.0Hz||(C#+8c)|
|7||John Briant, Hertford||1792||6-2-09||33.625"||992.0Hz||(B+7c)|
|8||John Briant, Hertford||1792||7-0-20||34.00"||938.0Hz||(A#+11c)|
|9||John Briant, Hertford||1792||9-1-06||37.75"||835.0Hz||(G#+9c)|
|10||John Briant, Hertford||1792||12-0-01||41.375"||743.5Hz||(F#+8c)|