Oxhill, St Laurence, Warwickshire
|Bells:||5; 8-1-3 in Ab (GF)|
|Recommended Pub:||The Peacock, Main Street, Oxhill, Warwickshire, CV35 0QU. Tel. 01295 688060|
|Contact:||Catherine Timmins, Lerriless, Oxhill, Warwickshire, CV35 0QR. Tel: 01295 680223 Click to Email|
History Of The Bells
Originally there where three bells in the tower, all cast in 1701 by William Bagley of Chacombe. In 1878, during the general restoration of the church, the tenor bell (which had been cracked) was recast by John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough. At the same time two new bells where added to make the present ring of five, and the bells were hung in a new frame by Thomas Mallaby of Masham. The ring was dedicated at a special service on Sunday 25th. August 1878. All the bells retain their canons, except the tenor which was cast without them.
They were renovated locally in 1989 to restore the bells to ringing order after they fell silent in the 1960s due to problems with the supporting beams. An RSJ was inserted under the frame to strengthen it. They do, however, remain a little fragile and should be rung with care.
Enter through the North Door and ring from the ground floor. Park carefully by the churchyard gate.
Details Of The Bells
|1||William Bagley, Chacombe||1701||3-2-00||25.00"||1280.0Hz||(Eb+49c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1878||4-1-14||27.50"||1133.0Hz||(Db+37c)|
|3||William Bagley, Chacombe||1701||4-0-14||28.00"||1053.5Hz||(C+12c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1878||7-0-07||32.25"||940.5Hz||(Bb+15c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1878||8-3-13||37.25"||822.5Hz||(Ab-17c)|