HAmpton Lucy, St Peter, Warwickshire
The old church was demolished in 1822 to make way for the present building, and this very grand church was completed in 1826. It is interesting as being one of the earliest and best examples of the work of the 19th-century 'Gothic revivalists'. It was designed by T. Rickman and consists of a chancel, nave with a clearstory, north and south aisles, north porch, and west tower. In 1858 the east end was remodelled by Sir Gilbert Scott, who provided the chancel with an apsidal end: he also refurnished the church. The medieval church, which stood 'not exactly on the same site' as the present building, was completely demolished in 1826.
This is a little-known lost ring, as the former ring of five here was last rung in about 1822. The three old bells at Hampton Lucy were recast in 1672-3 by Richard Keene of Woodstock who added two bells to make a ring of five, at a cost of £104 14s. 7d., of which nearly half was contributed by the rector, John Rogers.. The tenor is believed to have weighed about 8 cwt. The single bell now in the tower was cast by Thomas Mears in 1826. It is a large bell in F, weighing 17-0-9. It was intended as the tenor of a future ring of eight, but neither the other bells - nor the necessary framework - were ever installed.
|Details of the Bells|
|1||Richard Keene, Woodstock||1672/3|
|2||Richard Keene, Woodstock||1672/3|
|3||Richard Keene, Woodstock||1672/3|
|4||Richard Keene, Woodstock||1672/3|
|5||Richard Keene, Woodstock||1672/3||8cwt|