Coventry, Holy Trinity, West Midlands
|Bells:||8, 23-1-15 in Eb|
|Other Information:||Church Website|
Coventry's power split in medieval times is really demonstrated here. This church all but shares a churchyard with the St Michael's church, now the Cathedral. This is because Coventry used to be split into two power bases, the Crown and the Earl. The boundary line was between the two churches.
The church dates from the 12th century and is the only Medieval church in Coventry which is still complete. It is 59 metres (194 feet) long, and has a spire 72 metres (237 feet) high. The church was restored in 1665–1668, and the tower was recased in 1826 by Thomas Rickman. The east end was rebuilt in 1786 and the west front by Richard Charles Hussey in 1843. Holy Trinity was "Gilbert Scotted" during the restoration of the 1850s, in that the central tower's floors were removed to let more light into the building. The bells therefore could no longer remain in that tower.
There were six bells until 1776 when Pack & Chapman provided a new ring of eight, tenor 20-0-18. Six peals rung on the bells (including one of 10,128 in 1787) between 1776 and 1807. The bells, with the front 7 recast, were hung in a wooden campanile to the side of the church in 1856, the tenor subsequently being recast in 1898). This tower was never strong enough to hold a ringing peal and they were little rung. However, Chris Pickford has found a report of some ringing on the front 6 in the latter part of the 19th century.
The tower was taken down in 1966/7, partly to provide space for a church hall, it being subsequently demolished to open up the ruins of the Priory. After a decade of storage at Taylor's foundry, the bells were sold to Christchurch Cathedral in New Zealand for the value of the metal and then incorporated into their new ring of 12.
For a full account of the history please see Chris Pickford's article in The Ringing World dated 22 May 1987.
Details of the Bells
|1||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||6-1-06|
|2||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||6-3-14|
|3||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||7-1-20|
|4||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||8-1-03|
|5||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||10-0-08|
|6||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||11-2-21|
|7||C. & G. Mears, Whitechapel||1856||13-2-17|
|8||John Taylor & Co., Loughborough||1898||23-1-15|