Clifford Chambers, St Helen, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 7-3-2 in A (GF)|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 10.30am (2, 3 & 4) & 6.00pm (5) - Check|
|Contact:||Mr L Salmon, 14 Clifford Chambers, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 8HT |
or contact the Guild Secretary
History Of The Bells
This church was transferred into the Coventry Diocese on 1/5/01. It was formerly in the Diocese of Gloucester.
In 1771 Matthew Bagley, the last of the line of Bagley bellfounders, cast a ring of 5 for this church. The tenor, 7-3-6, cracked before the bells were installed and it was subsequently recast by Bagley, the tenor then becoming 8-0-14.
The composite frame and fittings for the back five are by Barwell of Birmingham - 1904, with ball bearings fitted by Taylors in 1946. The treble hangs above the others in a separate lowsided frame provided in 1946. At the same time the bells were tuned. The two "new" bells were cast without canons; the others retain their canons. The Bagley bells are "listed".
The village itself was transferred to Warwickshire from Gloucestershire in 1931. There is ample parking by the churchyard wall.
Details Of The Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1946||3-2-22||25.06"||1446.0Hz||(F#-40c)|
|2||Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton||1771||4-0-27||27.25"||1305.0Hz||(E-18c)|
|3||James Barwell & Co, Birmingham||1904||4-1-09||28.50"||1165.0Hz||(D-14c)|
|4||Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton||1771||5-0-25||30.00"||1099.0Hz||(C#-15c)|
|5||Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton||1771||5-3-26||31.75"||980.0Hz||(B-14c)|
|6||Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton||1773||7-3-02||35.375"||872.0Hz||(A-16c)|