Chadshunt, All Saints, Warwickshire

Chadshunt Bells: 6; 13cwt in F# (GF) - Church Redundant
Postcode: CV35 0EH
Grid Reference: 151/349530
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: There are no pubs in the village.  Nearby are:
The Swan Hotel, Banbury St, Kineton, Warwickshire, CV35 0JS Tel:01926 64066 or
The Malt Shovel, Church Road, Gaydon, Warwickshire, CV35 0ET. Tel: 01926 641221
Contact: Church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Restricted Ringing,
Graham Nabb, 2 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks. CV35 0LT Click to Email

History Of The Bells

This is a redundant church with limited ringing, though it is possible to gain permission to ring for outings.

It is quite easy to miss the church - so be observant! From the Gaydon turning off the M40, J12, you turn to the west. You soon meet a staggered crossing with the B4100 at which you go sort of straight over, left then right, towards Kineton. The church is along this road on the right. Go for just over 1 mile and then you will see a long brick wall on the right. Just after the end of the wall, in the middle of an "S" bend, there is an unmade path up to the church which is hidden in the trees. There are no obvious signs of the village. If you get to Kineton you have gone too far!

The bells, given by Charles Newsam of Chadshunt Hall, hang in an old oak frame which basically dates from the C17th, but the fittings were renewed by Henry and Thomas Bond of Burford in 1906. A ring of 6 by Richard Keene of Woodstock replaced 3 earlier bells in 1669. The treble and tenor were replaced in 1693 and it is likely that the old treble ended up at Water Stratford, Bucks. The bells were unringable for several decades until recently. However work has taken place that allows limited ringing, the first and so far only peal on the bells being rung at the end of 1999.

The canons have been removed from all the bells, which have all been quarter turned. The three tenors are maiden bells, whilst the three trebles have been tuned, the two trebles having their notes raised and the third having its lowered. This was not entirely successful and the treble remains noticeably sharp. The bells are an old fashioned ring of six that take a little bit of ringing to get the best out of them.

The church does not have electricity and this limits the ringing to some degree. Entrance is normally by the North door. Parking is very limited and you should be careful, as the main road is busy.

Details Of The Bells
1 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1693 4cwt 26.375" 1291.5Hz (D#+64c)
2 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1669 4½cwt 28.375" 1104.0Hz (C#-7c)
3 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1669 5cwt 30.00" 1000.5Hz (B+22c)
4 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1669 6cwt 33.25" 935.5Hz (A#+2c)
5 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1669 8cwt 36.00" 841.5Hz (G#+23c)
6 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1693 11cwt 41.125" 761.5Hz (F#+50c)

 

Cherington, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Cherington Bells: 6; 5-3-22 in B (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/292366
Postcode: CV36 5HS
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording: "The Old 5"
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9.00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:30am (2 & 4)
Recommended Pub: The Cherington Arms,  Cherington House, Cherington, Shipston-on-Stour CV36 5HS  Tel: 01608 686233
Contact: Paul Marriott, The Old Forge, Cherington, Shipston-on-Stour, CV36 5HS. Tel: 01608 686317 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

A church very much at the south end of the Diocese. They are a ground floor ring and the entrance is through the North Porch door into the church. Until recently they were not the easiest set of bells to ring, being an old fashioned ring of 5.

There were 3 bells up 1842. The tenor was recast and two trebles were added by Taylors at a cost of £105. It is thought that the previous tenor was also a Bagley bell of 1742. The treble was cast with a defect in its crown which was rectified via the use of iron plates around the canons and inside the bell. Only the third had been tuned at this point. The cost of hanging in 1842, by the local carpenters Thomas and William Attwood, was £24 15s 6d. The bells retain their canons. In recent years those ringing the bells noted that they really were in need of major work, but were not by any means unringable. The bells were hung in their original frame and fittings of 1842 - no major work being carried out since their installation.

In 2006 the bells were rehung in a new frame, augmented to 6, with the existing cracked treble recast and the others retuned. When the treble was examined closely in the foundry before being broken up for recasting it was noticed that the crack had been skillfully filled in with lead. There is no evidence that the bell was removed from the tower to do this and we can therefore only speculate that the job was done in situ some time in the last 150 years! The new frame was made by one of the local ringers to the designs of the foundry. The back four bells still retain their canons, the two treble being cast with flat tops. The note of the tenor equates to B-46c

Details Of The Bells
1 Taylors, Eayre & Smith, Loughborough 2006 3-2-15 24.50" 1624.0Hz (G#-39c)
2 Taylors, Eayre & Smith, Loughborough 2006 3-3-04 25.50" 1477.0Hz (F#-39c)
3 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1842 3-2-02 26.50" 1288.0Hz (E-41c)
4 Henry Bagley III, Witney 1742 4-3-06 28.00" 1215.0Hz (D#-42c)
5 Henry Bagley III, Witney 1742 5-1-21 30.25" 1081.0Hz (C#-43c)
6 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1842 5-3-22 32.50" 962.0Hz (B-46c)

 

Church Lawford, St Peter, Warwickshire

Church Lawford Bells: 6; 7-3-5 in Bb (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/454763
Postcode: CV23 9EG
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Morning Service on rota
Recommended Pub: The Old Smithy, 1 Green Lane, Church Lawford, Rugby, Warkwickshire, CV23 9EF. Tel: 024 7654 2333
Contact: Mrs J Dew, Hillcrest, Rugby Road, Church Lawford, Rugby, Warks CV23 9EL

History Of The Bells

A nice village on the A428 Coventry to Rugby Road a little before Rugby itself. Turn off the main road, signed Church Lawford NOT Long Lawford which is closer to Rugby and which does not have a ring of bells, go into the village and the church is at the end of a dead end street, (unsurprisingly called Church Road!), off to your right. It is a very sturdy looking tower and the church is well kept.

Before the rebuilding of the church in 1872 there were three bells, a treble dated 1741, middle bell that was mediaeval and tenor by Hugh Watts of Leicester 1621 which weighed 4-3-14. In 1872 three new heavier bells were cast by Taylors and the original tenor made into the treble of four. All this cost the princely sum of £189 9s 7d.

The bells go well, being rung from the ground floor. Cast iron "H" frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1937. At this time the treble of the existing ring of 4 was recast and two trebles added and a new frame and fittings were provided. The 1872 bells have been quarter turned and their canons have been removed.  The three trebles were cast with flat tops.

Parking in on the grass by the churchyard gate - careful if it has been wet as you might get stuck - I did!. Entry is by the North door.

The recent plan for an airport in this area which would, in the event of it being approved, mean the demolition of this village. Has been dropped and the future is now secure for this church. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-1-20 24.50" 1553.0Hz (G-17c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-3-10 26.00" 1393.0Hz (F-5c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 4-1-09 27.625" 1232.0Hz (Eb-17c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1872 4-3-20 29.625" 1162.0Hz (D-19c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1872 5-0-22 31.50" 1036.0Hz (C-17c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1872 7-3-05 35.375" 923.5Hz (Bb-16c)

 

Churchover, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire

Churchover Bells: 4; 7cwt in Bb (GF); Ringing not permitted
Grid Reference: 140/510808
Postcode: CV23 0EW
District: Rugby
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The pub in the village shut recently.  Here are some suggestions of nearby places with varying menus and, therefore, prices
Contact: Rev Robert Ireton, Kirby Moynes House, 1 Gate Farm Drive, Monks Kirby, Warwickshire, CV23 0RY Tel: 01788 833022

History Of The Bells

The last church in the Diocese, with bells, in this direction. The church exterior is largely of 1896-7 when the building was partially rebuilt and heavily restored by W. Bassett Smith. The tower, however, dates from the C15 with a recessed spire and a later parapet. The spire was restored in 1885, 1911 and again in 2008-9 Rescued from "unringability" in 1990 by The Rugby Deanery ringers and friends, nevertheless these bells remained somewhat challenging and the inexperienced often found them too difficult to manage.

The frame and fittings were originally by John Over of Rugby 1804, who sub-contracted the recasting of the third to John Briant of Hertford. This work cost £49. Tilley and Walters report that in 1552 there were "iij bells and a saunce bell" and that in 1750 there were "5 bells"

The tuning of the ring shows them to be approximately the front 4 of a ring of 5. All the bells retain their canons and are untuned. A chiming apparatus was installed in 1948 by W.E. Burnell of Rugby, who supplied similar systems to several churches in the area.

Due to the serious wear on the soundbows the advice is not to allow ringing until quarter turning, removal of cast in crown staples and replacement bearings have been fitted. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1622 3cwt 26.125" 1310.5Hz (E-11c)
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1622 4¼cwt 27.625" 1190.5Hz (D+23c)
3 John Briant, Hertford 1803 5cwt 29.75" 1105.0Hz (C#-7c)
4 Newcombe, Leicester c.1600 7cwt 33.125" 977.0Hz (Bb-19c)

 

Claverdon, St Michael and All Angels, Warwickshire

Claverdon Bells: 6; 11-1-23 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/198646
Postcode: CV35 8PD
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Friday 4:30pm
Service Ringing: Check
Recommended Pubs: The Crown Inn, Henley Road, Claverdon, Warwick CV35, 8LJ. Tel: 01926 842 210 (Italian Food)
The Red Lion, Station Road, Claverdon, Warwick, CV35 8PE. Tel: 01926 842291 (A "Gastropub")
Contact: Ian Willis Click to Email

History Of The Bells

Set in a pleasant Warwickshire village these bells go well, the ringing chamber being raised from the ground floor in the late 1980s.

Three bells survive from the ring of six supplied by Lester and Pack of Whitechapel in 1757. These replaced a ring of 5. The cost was £289 1s 1d, less £141 5s 0d allowance for the old bells, giving a net cost of £147 16s 1d. They were rehung at a cost of £36 16s 5¼d by Thomas Malin, a local carpenter in 1850 They were rehung again in 1892 by Warners who recast two of the bells, but further work - this time by Taylors - was needed in 1914 when the bells were rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame with new fittings. The cracked 4th was recast with a flat top at this time and the canons removed from the other bells, which were quarter turned. The bells were rehung on ball bearings by Taylor in 1954

The Rev. H.T. Tilley, the co-author (with H.B. Walters) of The Church Bells of Warwickshire (1910) was Vicar here from 1902-1905. The altar rails were given in his memory and part of the cost of the restoration of the bells in 1914 was met from a bequest by his widow.

Entrance is from inside the church and you can park by the churchyard wall.

Details Of The Bells
1 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 4-2-03 28.375" 1267.0Hz (D#+31c)
2 John Warner & Sons, London 1892 4-3-23 29.75" 1130.0Hz (C#+33c)
3 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 6-1-01 32.50" 1005.0Hz (B+30c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1914 6-2-20 32.875" 949.0Hz (A#+31c)
5 Lester and Pack, Whitechapel 1757 8-2-04 37.375" 846.0Hz (G#+32c)
6 John Warner & Sons, London 1892 11-1-23 41.50" 755.0Hz (F#+35c)

 

Clifford Chambers, St Helen, Warwickshire

Clifford Chambers Bells: 6; 7-3-2 in A (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/198522
Postcode: CV37 8HT
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: Sunday 10.30am (2, 3 & 4) & 6.00pm (5) - Check
Contact: Mr L Salmon, 14 Clifford Chambers, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 8HT

History Of The Bells

This church was transferred into the Coventry Diocese on 1/5/01. It was formerly in the Diocese of Gloucester.

In 1771 Matthew Bagley, the last of the line of Bagley bellfounders, cast a ring of 5 for this church. The tenor, 7-3-6, cracked before the bells were installed and it was subsequently recast by Bagley, the tenor then becoming 8-0-14.

The composite frame and fittings for the back five are by Barwell of Birmingham - 1904, with ball bearings fitted by Taylors in 1946. The treble hangs above the others in a separate lowsided frame provided in 1946. At the same time the bells were tuned. The two "new" bells were cast without canons; the others retain their canons. The Bagley bells are "listed".

The village itself was transferred to Warwickshire from Gloucestershire in 1931. There is ample parking by the churchyard wall. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-2-22 25.06" 1446.0Hz (F#-40c)
2 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton 1771 4-0-27 27.25" 1305.0Hz (E-18c)
3 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1904 4-1-09 28.50" 1165.0Hz (D-14c)
4 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton 1771 5-0-25 30.00" 1099.0Hz (C#-15c)
5 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton 1771 5-3-26 31.75" 980.0Hz (B-14c)
6 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton 1773 7-3-02 35.375" 872.0Hz (A-16c)

 

Clifton Upon Dunsmore, St Mary the Virgin, Warwickshire

Clifton Upon Dunsmore Bells: 6: 9-2-17 in F# (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/531764
Postcode: CV23 0BP
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9.00am-9.30am
Recommended Pub: The Bull Inn, 33-35 Main Street, Clifton upon Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0BH Tel: 01788 552237
Contact: Catherine Jamieson, 1, West Street, Long Lawford, Rugby CV23 9BJ Tel 01788 536690

History Of The Bells

The church sits prominently in the middle of this pretty Warwickshire village. On-street parking is fairly easy, there is a church car park just past the church in Lilborne Road.

Entering by the South door, you ring behind the organ. They hang in a composite frame for eight by Barwell, 1903. The proximity of the organ makes further augmentation a cerebral challenge! The fittings of the back five still date largely from 1903, but Taylors fitted ball bearings in 1939. The composite frame was strengthened when the then ring of five was overhauled in 1978-9, and the treble added in 1986. The 20th century bells were cast with flat tops, they have not been turned, and the canons have been removed from the others, which have all been quarter turned. There is a chiming apparatus here by W.E. Burnell of Rugby, 1950.

There had been five bells here before the reformation, but the Edwardian inventory of 1552 noted that one had been sold to meet the cost of building a bridge "since the last survey" and that there were "four bells and a saunce bell". The saunce bell has long disappeared and the other four bells were recast at various times in the seventeenth century. They did not become five until 1903 when the old third was recast and a new treble added by Barwells. This new treble was itself recast in 1939 by Taylors, at which time bells were retuned. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Whitechapel, London 1986 4-1-18 27.75" 1246.5Hz (D#+3c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1939 5-1-13 30.00" 1106.0Hz (C#-4c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1624 6-0-08 32.125" 985.0Hz (B-5c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1640 7-0-10 33.875" 930.0Hz (A#-4c)
5 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1903 8-0-23 36.625" 828.0Hz (G#-5c)
6 John Martin, Worcester 1655 9-2-17 40.375" 738.5Hz (F#-3c)

 

Corley, (Dedication Unknown), Warwickshire

Corley Bells: 5; 5-1-16 in C (GF) - Rung from the Nave.
Grid Reference: 140/301851
Postcode: CV7 8BB
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: Bull and Butcher, Common Lane, Corley, Coventry, West Midlands, CV7 8AQ. Tel: 01676 540241
Contacts: Revd Ian Kennedy, Fillongley Vicarage, Holbeche Crescent, Fillongley, Coventry CV7 8ES Tel. 01676 540320
Mr Jim Green, Roxana, Tamworth Road, Corley, Coventry Tel 01676 540579 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

This church is unusual in that is has bells but no tower! They are hung above the Nave in the roof beams and have a wooden structure with louvres and a sort of cupola to protect them from the elements. This means that the ropes fall in the Nave and the only way to get to the east end of the church is through the rope circle - interesting when you are ringing! The Church is Norman in foundation, extended in Victorian times and is still very small, but pretty to look at.

The bells themselves could not be described as the most tuneful around; they do not conform to any standard musical scale as they were left untuned when restored in 1937, as the architect wished to preserve, "the plaintive tone of Corley bells. They do handle quite well, though watch your head of the pulpit when ringing the second! The fourth is an old bell, cast some time in the late 14th century. The front 4 are relatively to a scale, but the tenor is noticeably sharp. The cast iron H frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1937. At this time the cracked Henry Bagley II of Ecton bell, cast in 1702, was recast. The old bells retain their canons, the new one, (tuned to be half way between the 2nd and 4th, they not being in tune with each other), is flat topped. The four old bells were quarter turned at the time of the restoration.

Click here to view Bill Hibbert's tonal analysis of the bells.

The entrance is on the North side of the nave. Parking should be made with care as the road in front of the church is quite busy - try up the side instead. Look for the way up to the bells beside the organ - not the easiest climb to view bells! 

Details Of The Bells
1 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1641 1-3-24 21.375" 1456.8Hz (F#-27c)
2 John De Colsale c.1410 2-2-05 24.25" 1346.0Hz (E+36c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-1-26 25.875" 1257.0Hz (D#17c)
4 Mediaeval c.1500 4-1-14 28.75" 1126.0Hz (C#+27c)
5 Thomas Hancox, Walsall 1631 5-1-16 31.00" 1041.0Hz (C-9c)

 

 

Coughton, St Peter, Warwickshire

Coughton Bells: 6; 11-2-20 in F
Grid Reference: 150/083605
Postcode: B49 5JA
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:45pm-9:00pm (Check)
Service Ringing: Not Known
Recommended Pub: The Throckmorton Arms, Coughton Hill, Alcester, Warwickshire, B49 5HX. Tel: 01789 766366
(There is "The Stables Coffee Bar" at the hall next to the church)
Contact: Mr A G Sreeves, 41 Coughton Hill, Coughton, Alcester B49 5HX Click to Email

History Of The Bells

The church is situated next to Coughton Court, the home of the Throckmorton family of Gunpowder Plot fame. The house is now in the care of the National Trust - look for the signs for public entrance.

Until relatively recently the bells were a very difficult ground floor ring in a wooden frame with very large wheels making the bells turn slowly. Great local efforts raised the necessary money and in 1991 they were rehung lower in the tower, in a metal frame, (one above five, the treble partly inside the space occupied by the tenor in the old frame) and moved to an upstairs ringing room.

The old frame dates from 1686, when the 6 bells were cast, and it has been retained in the tower, along with the Carr fittings. This frame had the fourth bell raised above the others. Before that date there were only three bells, the tenor weighing around 18 cwt. These bells were deliberately broken and disabled by Sir Robert Throckmoreton and "a crew of evell popishly affected persons".

Before the restoration of 1991 the bells had previously been refitted by Charles Carr of Smethwick in 1893. It is presumably at this earlier point that the canons were knocked off the tenor. The front 5 are hung on canon-retaining headstocks. The second shows signs of chip-tuning, but none of the others do.  The cast iron frame is by Taylors, with H sections below for the back 5 and a lowside frame for the treble on top.  Space restrictions mean that the treble has to protrude through into the existing timber frame. The bells were not tuned at the restoration.

The tenor frequency equates to F#+14c and is therefore not in the key of F as has been up to now reported in Dove hardcopy editions. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 4-3-25 28.75" 1270.0Hz (D#+35c)
2 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 5-2-13 30.00" 1157.0Hz (C#+74c)
3 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 6-1-00 32.25" 1034.0Hz (B#+21c)
4 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 7-2-04 33.625" 943.0Hz (A#+20c)
5 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 8-3-00 36.75" 847.0Hz (G#+34c)
6 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 11-2-20 42.00" 746.0Hz (F#+14c)

 

Coventry, Cathedral Church of, St Michael, West Midlands

Cathedral Bells: 12; 33-3-6 in C# - plus a Flat 6th. 
Grid Reference: 140/335790
Postcode: CV1 5RJ
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday: meet at c.11.30am (ringing for 1 hour after the main morning service)
Recommended Pub There are two Wetherspoon Pubs within a furlong of the west end of the Cathedral:
The Flying Standard, 2-10 Trinity Street Coventry West Midlands CV1 1FL. Tel: 024 7655 5723
Earl of Mercia, 18 High Street Coventry West Midlands CV1 5RE. Tel: 024 7643 3990. 
Contacts: Andrew Alldrick, 23 Coxs Close, Nuneaton, Warks, CV10 7ET Tel: 024 7674 4682 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

This is one of the more famous cathedrals in England in that it was bombed in November 1940 and, apart from the tower, largely destroyed. The outside walls, except the clearstory, and the tower are all that remain. A new cathedral was built at right angles to the old one and therefore runs North-South instead of East-West. Of modern design it provokes either like or dislike amongst visitors, but rarely apathy!

Until 1675 there was a heavy ring of 6 bells, 30-1-5. These were recast into a ring of 8 by Henry Bagley I and his son Henry, the tenor weighing 25-0-12. These were only the second ring of 8 in a Warwickshire church. In May 1774 these bells were recast into a ring of 10. tenor 31-1-14, by Pack & Chapman of London and hung by Robert Turner of Whitechapel. The tower was giving cause for concern by 1794 and the bells were rehung in a two tier wooden frame that rose from the ground. The 6th cracked and was therefore recast in 1799 by Thomas Mears. In 1802 the tenor also cracked and was recast by John Briant of Hertford, 32-0-9, at the same time the frame being rearranged to have all the bells on one level. Before the end of the century the tower was again giving cause for concern and the bells were hung dead in 1885 in the octagon part of the tower.

The bells are now hung low down in the old cathedral tower. They were recast from the old Pack and Chapman 10 by Gillett & Johnston in 1927 following a donation to cover the whole cost of a chime of 12 bells plus 2 semitones. There was a huge argument about what to do, E.H. Lewis was a great opponent of "Simpson" tuning, the matter only being resolved by a Consistory Court hearing. The decision was that the bells would be recast to ringing weights just in case a new detached tower was ever built. (This had been actively considered in the 1880s but the main enthusiast died before anything was built).

An analysis, by Bill Hibbert, of the 12 can be found here. The frequency of the tenor equates to C#-18c

An educated guess as to how the bells might have sounded has been produced by Bill Hibbert from data taken from the old 10 prior to them being broken up. It is an interesting read, (and listen!) and can be found here.

After a number of false starts the bells were rehung for ringing in 1987, financed largely due to a donation by Lady Lyons, the widow of the founder of Jaguar Cars, William Lyons. They form a fine ring of 12 with a flat 6th and also a sharp 9th that is hung dead in the corner of the frame. A new ringing room was built above a shop and glass windows mean that the ringers can be seen from the ruins. Shortly after the bells were installed curtains were hung on three sides to reduce the amount of reverberation in the ringing room. These work well and this magnificent ring of bells are a joy to ring. The Sharp 9th was brought into use as a service bell in 2008. It can be chimed automatically via a telephone link from the Cathedral

Visiting ringers of all experience on are actively made welcome.

The entrance is via the gate to the left of the tower as you look at it from the west end of the old cathedral, (visible to the right of the tower on the photograph). If the tower gates are locked wait until the ringing has stopped and make yourself heard!

Details Of The Bells
1 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 4-1-00 25.50" 1638.0Hz (G#-24c)
2 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 4-3-24 27.00" 1466.0Hz (F#-16c)
3 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 5-1-05 28.00" 1379.5Hz (E#-22c)
4 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 5-2-16 29.375" 1230.5Hz (D#-20c)
5 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 6-0-05 31.00" 1097.0Hz (C#-18c)
6 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 6-1-22 32.00" 1032.0Hz (B#-24c)
7 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 7-3-23 35.00" 916.0Hz (A#-31c)
8 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 10-2-21 38.50" 820.0Hz (G#-22c)
9 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 14-2-16 42.875" 732.0Hz (F#-19c)
10 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 18-0-14 46.00" 689.5Hz (E#-22c)
11 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 24-1-22 51.00" 614.0Hz (D#-23c)
12 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 33-3-06 57.00" 548.5Hz (C#-18c)
6b Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 7-0-24 33.50" 973.0Hz (B-26c)
9# Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1927 12-1-17 40.50" 773.0Hz (G-24c)

 

Cambridge Maximus From the Viewing Gallery Half-Muffled Ringing For Remembrance
 

Coventry, Foleshill, St Laurence, West Midlands

Foleshill Bells: 3; 7½cwt in A - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 140/353825
Postcode: CV6 7ED
District: Coventry
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Contact: Rev. Michael Cleveland, St Laurence's Vicarage, 142 Old Church Road, Coventry CV6 7ED Tel. 024 7668 8271 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

This tower is in an area of North Coventry. It is NOT the brick built tower on Foleshill Road, this containing a single bell. It is further away from the city centre,on the B4082 Old Church Road. Please check on the map link before travelling.

These bells are unringable. There is an ancient frame, layout 3.1, and fittings, the wheels being sawn off and the stocks braced to frame to prevent movement. Ellacombe chimes have been fitted. There is a rope attached to the tenor clapper which has a muffle on one side and is used for funerals. The trebles are very nearly the same note, the tenor a minor third below. The organ occupies the high ground stage of the tower and there is a low clock-room between this and the bells. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1635 4½cwt 29.00" 1057.0Hz (C+17c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1616 6cwt 32.125" 1031.0Hz (C-26c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1616 7½cwt 34.50" 860.5Hz (A-39c)

 

Coventry, Stoke, St Michael, West Midlands

Coventry, Stoke Bells: 8; 13-1-9 in F# (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/358795
Postcode: CV2 4BG
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:30am-11:00am
Recommended Pub: Rose & Crown, Walsgrave Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 4BN Tel: 024 7645 5193 (opposite the lych gate)
Contact: Mrs Jean Harrison, 22 Oswin Grove, Coventry CV2 5GJ

History Of The Bells

The bells were originally three in number and had been derelict for over 40 years before anything was done. The augmentation was a complicated story - hung as a ring of five in April 1902 and augmented to six in May 1902, the tenor weighing 9-3-26. The bells were hung in a two tier frame with the second on top. The ring was remodelled in 1905 when the fourth was recast, and a treble and tenor added. All were rehung on ball bearings by Taylors in 1947. The Taylor bells were cast with flat tops, the other two have had their canons removed.

The tower is small and therefore the bells are on two levels. Bells 2, 5 and 8 are on top. The ringing room is cosy! Though there is a need for rope guides the bells go well and are suitable for the less experienced visitor. Entrance is normally via the tower door.

There is a church car park just to the west of the church up a small road almost opposite "The Rose and Crown" pub. This car park is, however, not suitable for coaches.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 4-0-11 25.50" 1445.5Hz (F#-29c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1902 4-0-05 26.31" 1370.0Hz (E#-34c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1902 4-2-03 28.00" 1227.5Hz (D#-24c)
4 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1624 5-0-08 30.00" 1092.0Hz (C#-26c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 6-1-15 32.625" 968.5Hz (B-34c)
6 John de Colsale, Nottingham c.1410 7-1-15 34.50" 920.0Hz (A#-23c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1902 9-3-26 38.50" 818.0Hz (G#-26c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 13-1-09 42.50" 727.0Hz (F#-31c)

 

Cubbington, St Mary, Warwickshire

Cubbington Bells: 6; 10-1-19 in G (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/344683
Postcode: CV32 7LJ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7.30pm-9.00pm
Service Ringing: 9.00am-9:30am
Recommended Pub: The Kings Head, Church Hill, Cubbington, Leamington Spa CV32 7JY
(Open Noon-11pm each day, no food Sunday Evening) Tel: 01926 887142
Contacts: Mrs Audrey Lawton, 37 Offchurch Road, Cubbington, Leamington Spa CV32 7NG
Mike Young, 15 Austen Court, Cubbington, CV32 7LJ, tel: 01926 258623 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

A relatively new ring of 6, this church is now part of "Greater Leamington Spa". These were a ringable four before rehanging and augmentation by Taylors in 1971, the second being recast to become the fourth of the new ring. The new bells have flat tops and the canons for the older bells have been removed. The bells go well and are suitable for the less experienced ringer.

The third and also the now recast 4th were cast at the Watts foundry. However, as Hugh WattsII died in 1643 either the date on the bells are both wrong, which is not likely, or more likely the bell was cast in his premises by a successor. This would possibly be his son, also called Hugh, or his foreman George Curtis who was described as a bellfounder in the burial record of 5th September 1650 at St Martin's church Leicester (now the Cathedral), suggesting that there was still some bellfounding activity in the city at a time when the Civil War had meant a large reduction in the amount of work that was available.

The entrance is from the south side and there is parking by the churchyard wall. There is a nice pub to the east of the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 3-2-13 25.875" 1304.0Hz (E-19c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 4-0-02 27.50" 1161.0Hz (D-20c)
3 Sucessor to Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1646 4-2-20 29.50" 1025.0Hz (C-36c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1971 5-2-20 32.00" 975.0Hz (B-23c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1626 8-0-17 35.00" 869.0Hz (A-22c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1640 10-1-19 39.50" 772.0Hz (G-27c)