Barford, St Peter, Warwickshire

Barford Bells: 6; 4-3-22 in B
Grid Reference: 151/273609
Postcode: CV35 8ES
District: Warwick
Peals Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Not Known
Recommended Pub: Joseph Arch, 7 Bridge Street,  Barford,  Warwick,  CV35 8EH. Tel: 01926 624270, or
The Granville Arms 52, Wellesbourne Road, Barford, Warwickshire, CV35 8DS. Tel: 01926 624236
Contact: Michael Ashton, 25 Sandy Way, Barford, Warwick CV35 8DY Click to Email

History

On the A429 road from Warwick to Cirencester and beyond, Barford is a pleasant village. St Peter's church is just off this road - into the village proper at a mini roundabout near the Joseph Arch pub. There is a new bypass to the village, therefore you need to look out for the signs.

One of the newer rings of 6 in the Diocese, these were installed in 1994 during the incumbency of a ringing vicar, the late Gordon Benfield, being an augmentation from a ringable 3. These had been rehung by Taylors in 1909. At this point the bells were hung in a lowside frame, quarter turned and the canons were removed. The third was originally the treble of the ring of 3 at Atherstone on Stour. It retains its canons.

The entrance is from inside the church and limited on-street parking is available near to the church.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1994 3-0-18 23.375" 1676.0Hz (G#+16c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1994 3-1-22 24.375" 1504.0Hz (F#-28c)
3 Gloucester Foundry c.1330 3-0-00 25.00" 1342.0Hz (E+31c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1709 3-3-02 26.50" 1258.0Hz (D#+19c)
5 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1639 4-1-20 29.50" 1132.0Hz (C#+36c)
6 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1661 4-3-22 31.00" 1006.0Hz (B+32c)

 

Beaudesert, St Nicholas, Warwickshire

Beaudesert Bells: 6; 6-2-12 in B
Grid Reference: 151/152660
Postcode: B95 9JY
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: Occasional Wednesdays 7.00 to 8.15 instead of Henley-in-Arden – call to check
Service Ringing: No regular Sunday ringing
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village, but plenty in Henley in Arden which is extremely close by.  Try here for details of local locals!
Contact: Dr M Colclough, 3 Beaudesert Place, Henley-in-Arden, Solihull B95 5BF 01564 793710 Click to Email 

History Of The Bells

The church is only a few hundred yards or so from the ring of six at Henley in Arden. It is part of the same benefice. Follow the road down the side of Henley church in order to find the church, you can park by the church hall.

Until recently hese bells were a hopelessly unringable ring of three. The bells hung in a medieval frame with thin replacement timbers, early C18 fittings and C19 wheels; they sounded the notes F, E and C#. The frame was considerably altered during its lifetime and the bells "swung" East to West in parallel pits. All bells had their canons retained, (the second had three canons remaining - and three false iron ones) and none were turned.

The bells were removed from the tower by Taylors on 21st July 2012. A "new" ring has been hung in a fabricated frame lower in the tower for 6, retiring the treble and adding 4 "new" bells to the other two. The fourth and tenor have come from St Nicholas, Guildford where their six of their existing bells were replaced with new bells to better match the other four Taylor bells of 1926 in 2013.  The treble came from Ashburnham Place in Sussex and the second from St Luke, Barrow in Furness, which has been closed and demolished. The former treble was retired from the ring and is hung dead in the old frame for chiming.

The treble has had its canons removed, the third and fifth retain their canons and the others were cast with flat tops.

The bells were successfully rung for the first time on October 22nd 2013.

 The Bells at Taylors - March 2013

Bells at the Foundry

(Click to enlarge)

Details Of The Previous Bells
1 Unknown c.1350 2-1-08 23.00" 1414.5Hz (F+22c)
2 Unknown c.1350 3-1-20 26.00" 1346.0Hz (E+36c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston                1711 4-2-12 29.00" 1110.5Hz (C#+3c) 

 

Details of the New Ring
1 Thomas Mears II, Whitechapel 1817 2-2-00 23.00" 1696.0Hz (G#+36c)
2 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel 1963 2-3-13 24.00" 1511.0Hz (F#+36c)
3 Unknown c.1350 3-1-20 26.00" 1364.0Hz (E-59c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1926 4-3-07 27.75" 1270.7Hz (D#+36c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 4-2-08 29.00" 1132.0Hz (C#+36c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1879 6-2-12 32.25" 1008.5Hz (B+36c)
Former Treble
  Unknown c.1350 2-1-08 23.00" 1414.5Hz (F+22c)

 

 

Bedworth, All Saints, Warwickshire

Bedworth Bells: 8; 14-0-18 in F#
Grid Reference: 140/359869
Postcode: CV12 8NH
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 6:30pm-7:30pm (check)
Service Ringing: 10:30am-11:00am (check); 6:00pm- 6:30pm (check)
Recommended Pub: The Greyhound Sutton Stop, Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry, CV6 6DF. Tel: 024 7636 3046 is a few minutes drive away and is very good.  Pleny of town centre pubs nearby.
Contacts: Mr Roger Gane 195 Marston Lane, Bedworth CV12 9AE Click to Email

History

Just north of Coventry, Bedworth is a town in its own right. The church sits prominently in the Market Place.

The frame and fittings are by Taylor 1891 - the third being hung above the rest. The ring was rehung on ball bearings by Taylors in 1957-8. There is a 16" Taylor Sanctus bell of 1889, 0-3-16, in the cote above the chancel arch.

Until 1891 there were three bells, all by Watts. The second was retained, becoming the 6th of the new ring, but the treble (1627) and the tenor (1639) were recast, according to the inscriptions as the 5th & 7th of the ring. In 1876 Tilley reported that ".. the 2nd and 3rd had been quarter turned, the one much deepened and the other much sharpened." The one remaining old bell has been turned. The frequences were accurately taken in 2012 and this shows that the ring is in the key of F# and notG as previously stated.

Until recently the bells were rung from the ground floor, but a major church re-ordering project completed recently means they are now rung from upstairs. The re-ordering is very successful - there is even a small lift you can use to get upstairs! Entry to the church and thence the ringing chamber could be by either the north or south doors as there are north and south spiral staircases to get to the upper area.

There is little parking by the church but there are a number of car parks nearby. Please check before travelling to ring as there are few local ringers, though a new band has started recently.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 3-1-05 24.50" 1503.0Hz (F#+27c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 3-2-14 25.00" 1413.0Hz (E#+20c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 4-1-14 27.00" 1255.0Hz (D#+15c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 5-0-18 29.50" 1119.0Hz (C#+16c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 6-3-23 32.50" 998.5Hz (B+19c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1629 6-2-14 33.75" 945.0Hz (A#+23c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 10-3-23 38.50" 839.5Hz (G#+18c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1891 14-0-18 42.50" 747.5Hz (F#+17c)

 

Berkswell, St John Baptist, Warwickshire

Berkswell Bells: 6; 16-2-17 in F (GF)
Grid Reference: 139/244791
Postcode: CV7 7BJ
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Friday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: 9:30-10.00 (all) & 4:30pm-5:00pm (GMT); 5.30pm-6.00pm (BST) (Last Sunday only)
Recommended Pub: Bear Inn, Spencers Lane, Berkswell, Coventry, West Midlands, CV7 7BB, Tel: 01676 533202
Contact: Mrs Cathy Parry, 7 Pound Close, Berkswell, Coventry, CV7 7BA. Tel: 01676 532769/07845210067 Click to Email

History

This really is a church that deserves close examination before you ring. There is a Tudor room above the entrance to the church and a crypt beneath the nave to visit. The organ is reputedly a very good one, made by Willis of London in 1897, and no-one will countenance moving it as it could well affect it negatively if they did. This causes a problem for the ringers. They have to ring from behind the organ in an area the width of the tower, but only 5/6 feet wide. This makes the rope circle somewhat squashed, with a large gap between the 4th and the 5th. Nevertheless they go well.

Frame and fittings are by Taylors 1898 when a new treble, third (not second as stated in Church Bells of Warwickshire) and tenor were added. The fourth and fifth tuned and all three were 8th turned at this point in time. The bells were rehung on ball bearings in 1933, also by Taylors. Tilley speculates that the 5th was cast by Newcombe and Hugh Watts in partnership. However, this is unable to be proved and nothing has yet come to light to show that these two founders did work as partners. The old bells have had their canons removed and the new bells were cast without canons.

There is a small mediaeval sanctus bell. It was once hung in the beams of the roof of the tower,  but is now on display in the North Aisle. It is 6.25" by an unknown founder. Parking is a little bit restricted near the church, but is quite possible within walking distance of it. 

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 5-3-15 30.25" 1169.0Hz (D-8c)
2 Geoffrey Giles, Coventry 1584 5-1-27 30.25" 1050.0Hz (C+6c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 7-1-07 34.00" 938.0Hz (Bb+11c)
4 John de Stafford, Leicester c.1380 7-2-06 36.00" 876.0Hz (A-8c)
5 Edward Newcombe c.1600 9-3-09 38.50" 787.5Hz (G+8c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1898 16-2-07 45.00" 700.0Hz (F+4c)

 

Bidford on Avon, St Laurence, Warwickshire

Bidford on Avon

Bells: 8; 14-0-24 in F (GF)
Grid Reference: 150/101518
Postcode: B50 4DA
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm - check
Service Ringing: 9.45-10.30am (1st) 9.15am-10.00am (Rest) - check
Recommended Pub: The Cottage of Content, 15 Welford Road, Barton, Warwickshire, B50 4NP. Tel: 01789 772279 - it has its own campsite at the back of the pub,
There are several others nearer to the church.
Contact: Mrs Sandra Parker, 14 Waterloo Road, Bidford-on-Avon, Alcester B50 4DJ Click to Email

History

This is a pretty village built, obviously, by the River Avon. It is worth spending a while resting here. Lots of open space and decent pubs! The church is in the centre of the village and is easy to find. Don't be fooled by the photograph; behind that tree is the market place!

The bells are a fairly easy going ring of 8 that are rung from the ground floor, behind a nicely carved screen. The tower is small and therefore the bells are on two levels. The frame and fittings are all by Taylors, 1954. The four old bells were one-eighth turned, as they had been quarter-turned by Messrs Webb and Bennett of Kidlington, Oxon, who rehung the 6 in July 1908. The previous frame was described thus: "Bells hung awkwardly in two tiers, the upper three very difficult to reach", by Tilley writing in 1878.

In 1681 the existing bells in the tower were recast into 5, probably by Richard Keene of Woodstock, tenor being around 9cwt. Subsequently there was a ring of 6, all cast by John Rudhall in 1791. The old tenor weighed 13-1-13 when cast. They arrived in Bidford by river on 23rd February 1792.

There is plenty of on-street parking by the church.

Being on the edge of the Coventry Guild and the Worcester & Districts Association this tower has links with both. Here is a link to the W & D entry for Bidford 

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1954 3-3-12 26.00" 1381.0Hz (F-20cc)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1954 4-1-10 26.875" 1279.0Hz (E-53c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1954 4-3-06 28.50" 1156.0Hz (D-28c)
4 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1791 6-0-01 32.00" 1030.0Hz (C-28c)
5 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1791 6-0-06 32.00" 912.0Hz (Bb-38c)
6 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1791 6-3-06 34.125" 860.0Hz (A-40c)
7 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1791 9-2-24 38.125" 765.0Hz (G-42c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1954 14-0-24 43.00" 683.0Hz (F-39c)

 

 

Bilton, St Mark, Warwickshire

Bilton Bells: 6; 9-0-25 in G#
Grid Reference: 140/487739
Postcode: CV22 7RN
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recordings: Before Restoration
After Restoration   
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:15am-10:00am
Contact: Mrs S A Idle 251 Bilton Road, Rugby CV22 7EQ Click to Email

History Of The Bells

On the south edge of Rugby, Bilton remains a village in its own right and its church spire is prominent from some distance.

Until recently the bells were a mixture of 5 old bells with a modern treble.  This bell, along with a new cast iron lowside frame and fittings, was provided by Taylors during 1948.  There were wooden headstocks on the back five bells. Notice that the 5th was heavier than the tenor.

The Sanders bell was given by the Countess of Warwick (d.1731), wife of the 6th Earl of Warwick (d.1701) who had married subsequently Joseph Addison (of the Spectator).

In January 2008 the bells were removed to Taylors who replaced the tenor with a more suitable bell more than 2cwt heavier than the existing one.  At the same time the front three bells were retuned and the wooden headstocks on bells 2-5 were replaced by modern canon retaining headstocks. The new tenor was cast with a flat top. The difference in the weights of bells 4 and 5 are due to the removal of the cast-in iron crown staples. The scheme was completed in time for the Easter celebrations.

Previously, the bells had been retuned, quarter turned and rehung with new fittings in the old frame in 1884. Further retuning not being allowed in the 1948 scheme. 

The entrance is from inside the church and there is a large car park close by on the North side of the church.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor, Co, Loughborough 1948 3-3-09 26.00" 1374.0Hz (E-29c)
2 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1722 4-0-17 27.625" 1223.0Hz (D#-30c)
3 John Sturdy or John Keble London c.1450 4-0-22 28.50" 1085.0Hz (C#-37c)
4 John Danyell, London c.1460 5-0-02 30.50" 1025.0Hz (B#-36c)
5 John Danyell, London c.1460 7-0-12 33.75" 917.0Hz (A#-29c)
6 Taylors, Eayre & Smith, Ltd, Loughborough 2008 9-0-25 37.25" 816.5Hz (G#-30c)

 

Bishops Itchington, St Michael, Warwickshire

Bishops  Itchington

Bells: 5; 9-2-6 in Ab
Postcode: CV47 2FN
Grid Reference: 151/388577
District: Warwick
Peals Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7.15pm-8.45pm
Service Ringing: 10.00am-10.30am (Except 1st in month - Check)
Contact: Sue Roderick, 25 Rupert Kettle Drive, Bishops Itchington, Southam, Warks, CV47 2PU Tel: 01926 614982 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

A church in a pretty Warwickshire village, there has been a degree of doubt as to the ringability or otherwise of these bells for some time, but they were occasionally rung for weddings, etc. until 2000. There were cracks in the tower which had been a major worry for the church authorities.

A tower survey showed that a considerable amount of work, well over £250,000, needed to be completed and there were worries that ringing the bells is not safe and therefore ringing was stopped after the Millennium was rung in. The ringing room floor was reportedly simply sitting on corbels and the concern is that these might fail. Stonework had also fallen from the tower.

The church was awarded a substantial grant and the tower has had major repair work in 2010.  Relatively minor work was done on the bells to refurbish them ready for ringing in February 2011. The bells are now rung lower in the tower than previously, as the large clock case in the old ringing room prevented a good rope-circle.

Prior to the installation of this ring there was only one bell in the tower. This was recast by C & G Mears in 1845 from a box of old bellmetal which weighed 2-0-21. The new bell was 2-3-19. The bells were retuned and rehung with new fittings in the strengthened 1874 wooden frame by Taylors in 1938-9. At this point the canons were removed.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 4-1-22 28.25" 1280.0Hz (D#+49c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 5-0-13 30.24" 1138.0Hz (C#+45c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 5-1-19 31.50" 1073.0Hz (B#-43c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 7-0-16 34.50" 956.0Hz (A#-43c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 9-2-06 38.25" 853.0Hz (G#-46c)

 

Bishops Tachbrook, St Chad, Warwickshire

Bishop  Tachbrook Bells: 3; 6-3-10 in Bb
Grid Reference: 151/314614
Postcode: CV33 9RJ
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9.00pm (Check)
Service Ringing: 9:30am-9.50am (Check)
Contact: Mr Roy, L. K. Drew, 56 Mallory Road, Bishops Tachbrook, Leamington Spa CV33 9QY Tel: 01926 428570 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

These bells are ringable and have a local band. They are in an old wooden frame,truss 6.A and layout 3.3. Rehung (in the tower) with new fittings by Taylors in 1893 and put on ball bearings by the same firm in 1936. The weight of the tenor given is prior to canon removal and is therefore only an estimate. There is a recent, 1997, upstairs ringing room that is rather plush compared to most rings of 3! There is also a separate clock bell by Thomas Mears, 1843, 24.24", 3-0-11. 1653.0Hz (Ab-9c).

There is some hope that the bells may be augmented in the future, an inspection was carried out by the Guild in 2001 and quotations obtained to augment to 6. The local ringers are keen to have more bells in their tower, but recent spending on a church building project means that this is not imminent.

The church is just off the main road through the village, on Church Hill.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Martin, Worcester 1653 4¾cwt 29.75" 1173.0Hz (D-2c)
2 Richard Sanders, Stratford 1719 5¾cwt 30.50" 1040.5Hz (C-10c)
3 William Brooke, Bromsgrove 1740 <6-3-10 34.375" 896.0Hz (Bb-68c)
 
 

Bourton on Dunsmore, St  Peter, Warwickshire

Bourton on Dunsmore Bells: 3; 5-1-12 in Bb - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 140/437743
Postcode: CV23 9RA
District: Rugby
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Contact: PCC Secretary Mrs Jean Grinnell. Tel: 01926 632356

History Of The Bells

A potentially ringable three. In an old, two level, wooden frame, the treble being in the upper frame. The frame is from some time in the 18th century, certainly older than the current church tower, which was built in 1842. The bells were rehung with new ringing fittings by Taylors in 1928 at which time they were turned on their headstocks and the tenor's canons were removed.

A report by Taylors in 1993 says that the soundbows are practically unmarked, suggesting that they have not been rung that often. The canons remain on the trebles, but have been removed from the tenor. An Ellacombe chiming apparatus was installed in 1971 owing to fears for the safety of the spire, since repaired. Taylor's have in recent years been invited to inspect the bells and give advice as to how they may be put into a ringing condition. The tower is small and augmentation would not be straightforward. As it is the frame is arranged diagonally to make full use of the window openings to gain extra space.

The bells have been inspected by the Coventry DG Bell Advisory Team and it is recommended that they not be rung until the metalwork is replaced.

Details Of The Bells
1 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester c.1580 3-0-15 25.50" 1207.0Hz (D+47c)
2 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester c.1580 4-2-16 28.75" 1077.0Hz (C+50c)
3 Taylor & Sons, Oxford 1827 5-1-12 32.50" 959.0Hz (Bb+49c)

 

Brailes, St George, Warwickshire

Brailes Bells: 6; 29-0-19 in C
Grid Reference: 151/315393
Postcode: OX15 5HU
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing:  
Contact: Mr S Cummings, 8 Orchard Close, Lower Brailes, Banbury, Oxon. OX15 5AH  Click to Email

History Of The Bells

Set in a very pretty part of South Warwickshire the church dominates the local area. The church is actually in Lower Brailes. A very large tower holds a very large ring of bells! Only St Buryan and Queen Camel are known to have heavier tenored rings of 6. The tenor is the heaviest bell ever cast by Blews of Birmingham and it must be one of their best.

Up some point in the 19th Century these bells were rung from the ground floor, taking 15 men to ring them! There is a sanctus bell in the gable over the chancel arch.

The third bell, a recast of a Matthew Bagley bell that was cast in Chipping Norton in 1752, has a medallion depicting St George and the Dragon cast into it. The old tenor was probably cast in the early 15th century in London by John Bird. It had been long cracked prior to recasting. The fourth is a recast of a 1671 bell by Richard Keene of Woodstock. At the 1877 restoration the bells were rehung in a new oak frame with new fittings by Hooper and Stokes of Woodbury, Devon at a cost of £200. This work was never very satisfactory and the bells were again rehung in 1894, with new fittings, by Frederick White of Appleton.

Even though the bells were again rehung, by Taylors in a two-tier frame lower in the tower in 1957, and that this frame was further strengthened in 1993 these bells are not the easiest to ring, (note the weight of the treble!) and outing organisers should avoid bringing relative learners here.

Bells 1, 2, 5 & 6 are "listed". All the bells have had their canons removed.

The tower entrance is inside the church, enter by the south door, and there is on-street parking nearby.

Details Of The Bells
1 Richard Purdue, Banbury 1624 9-2-20 37.50" 870.0Hz (A-20c)
2 William Chamberlain, London c.1440 10-3-16 39.75" 778.0Hz (G-13c)
3 William Blews, Birmingham 1877 13-3-04 43.50" 692.0Hz (F-16c)
4 Mears and Stainbank, London 1900 15-2-16 46.00" 649.0Hz (E-27c)
5 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1671 22-2-06 51.00" 590.0Hz (D+8c)
6 William Blews, Birmingham 1877 29-0-19 58.00" 525.0Hz (C+6c)

Chime Barrel in Use

 

 

Brinklow, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Brinklow Bells: 8; 8-1-20 in Ab
Grid Reference: 140/437796
Postcode: CV23 0LQ
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording of the 6:
Recording of the 8:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:45pm-9.00pm
Service Ringing: On rota
Recommended Pub: The Raven, 68 Broad St Brinklow Rugby, Warwickshire CV23 0LN  01788 832655
Contact: Tom Griffiths Tel: 07812766486  Email

History Of The Bells

A pleasant village close to Coventry. The church is just off the main road through the village. The bells are rung from upstairs, the entrance being round the south corner of the bottom of the tower inside the church.

The frame and fittings are by Taylor, 1913 at which time the Smith of Edgbaston 5 were rehung and a treble added. The 2nd, 3rd & 5th bells indicate that they had been chip tuned after casting and the tenor "skirted" to raise its note slightly. Taylors tuned the whole ring to the note of the 5th during the restoration. The Smith bells  have been eighth turned and their canons removed and the 1913 bell has been quarter turned.

Ball bearings were fitted by the local ringers (an early DIY job!) in 1969-70. These bells used to be rung from the ground floor. The ropes hung in two straight lines on opposite sides of the tower, and the ringers stood on a sloping floor! The ringers moved upstairs in 1970.

The scheme to augment these bells to 8 was completed at Easter 2011.  The Guild donated the treble in memory of Harry Windsor.

There is plenty of on-street parking near to the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-2-23 24.50" 1643.0Hz (Ab-20c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-3-15 25.125" 1551.0Hz (G-19c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-0-11 26.00" 1380.0Hz (F-21c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 5-0-27 27.50" 1230.0Hz (Eb-20c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 5-1-11 30.50" 1099.0Hz (Db-10c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 5-2-07 31.75" 1036.0Hz (C-17c)
7 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 5-3-08 32.375" 936.0Hz (Bb-7c)
8 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 8-1-20 37.125" 822.0Hz Ab-18c)

 

Bubbenhall, St Giles, Warwickshire

Bubbenhall Bells: 6; 5-1-13 in Bb (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/360725
Postocde: CV8 3BE
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Malt Shovel, Lower End, Bubbenhall, Coventry, West Midlands CV8 3BW. Tel:024 7630 1141
Contact: Mr Peter Sheen, 19 Home Close, Bubbenhall, Coventry CV8 3JD Tel: 024 7630 6339

History Of The Bells

This unringable 3 relatively recently been augmented to 6. The original bells were hung in a medieval(?) frame for full circle ringing before they were converted to a chiming system by having ropes attached to their clappers. Living memory insists that they used to be used regularly about 20 yrs ago. An existing Newcombe of Leicester bell, c1580, is to become the clock bell and the old tenor has been used for its metal in the casting of the new bells, leaving only one bell of the original ring. The clock bell is yet to be brought into action, it being in the old wooden frame of c1670. The fifth, which is listed, is the old tenor from the ring of 3 from the redundant church at Little Packington.

The bells were installed in the first week of September 2000 and dedicated on September 17th. The new bells were cast without canons, the older ones retain theirs. Five of the bells hang in a steel and cast iron frame, with third hung above the others in a steel frame.

The church is at the end of a dead end called, unsurprisingly, Church Road - the entrance to the street being in the middle of the village. There is a very enthusiastic local band that positively welcome visitors! Limited car parking is available by the churchyard wall and entry is via the south door.

Details Of The Bells
1 J Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughbrough 2000 2-0-12 21.50" 1556.0Hz (G-13c)
2 J Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughbrough 2000 2-2-06 23.00" 1385.0Hz (F-13c)
3 J Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughbrough 2000 2-3-18 24.625" 1235.0Hz (Eb-13c)
4 J Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughbrough 2000 3-1-06 26.00" 1168.0Hz (D-10c)
5 Edward Newcombe, Leicester c.1600 4-0-27 29.00" 1040.0Hz (C-11c)
6 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe c.1670 5-1-13 31.75" 924.0Hz (Bb-16c)
             
Disused bell
  Newcombe of Leicester            c1570 5cwt 30.25" ???? C

 

Bulkington, St James, Warwickshire

Bulkington Bells: 8; 12-1-23in G
Grid Reference: 140/391867
Postcode: CV12 9PZ
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: 9.30-10.00am & 6.00-6.30pm 
Recommended Pub: Old Chequers Inn, 12 Chequer Street, Bulkington, Bedworth, CV12 9NH. Tel: 024 7631 2182
Contacts: Jean Liggins, 108 Nueaton Road, Bulkington, Warwickshire, CV12 9QN
Geoff Pratt, 62 Weston Lane, Bulkington, Warwickshire, CV12 9RT

History of the Bells

On the main street of this large village, St James church is another that is worth spending a while examining before you ring.

The bells were rehung in an eight-bell frame in 1924 - the empty pits being filled in 1948. The old bells have had their canons removed and the Taylor bells were cast with flat tops.

One of the late ringers at St James built the platform on which the organ now stands.

The tower rocks noticeably when the bells are rung. Entrance is from inside at the base of the tower and there is a car park just to the west of the tower.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-0-11 25.625" 1532.0Hz (G-40c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-0-13 26.00" 1444.0Hz (F#-43c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 4-2-08 27.25" 1286.0Hz (E+43c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 5-1-08 29.00" 1146.0Hz (D-43c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 5-3-26 31.50" 1020.0Hz (C-44c)
6 Newcombe, Leicester 1605 5-3-27 33.00" 964.0Hz (B-42c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1924 9-3-24 37.25" 859.0Hz (A-42c)
8 Newcome, Leicester C16th 12-1-23 42.00" 764.0Hz (G-45c)

 

Burton Dassett, All Saints, Warwickshire

Burton Dassett Bells: 6; 13cwt in F
Grid Reference: 151/399515
Postcode: CV47 2AB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village, indeed there are few houses in it!  Best option is to look for a tower nearby in your direction of travel and use that recommendation.
Contact: Mr J Anderson, Saxon Hill House, Top Street, Northend, Southam CV47 2TY

History Of The Bells

Set prominently on a hill near to the M40 this is a beautiful church that is very much worth a visit. Being on a hill the church has had to adapt and therefore is built on several different levels. There are a number of very interesting wall paintings.

The bells are an old fashioned ring of 6 that go reasonably well. They were rehung in a single-level girder frame in 1907 by Thomas Bond of Burford. The fittings of the front 4 are of the same date. All the bells have been quarter turned. The entrance is from inside the church and cars may park by the churchyard entrance. Organisers are advised to give several weeks notice of an intended visit as the church is isolated and someone will need to let you in.

The frame had been causing problems in that it was twisting and the tenor in particular was likely to come into contact with the frame. Eayre and Smith attended to the frame in early 2005, removing the rust and replacing bolts as necessary and, at the same time, they hung the two tenors on ball bearings with new headstocks and wheels. There is some hope that the front 4 will be hung on ball bearings in the future.

The base beams of the previous frame remain in the tower - the indicate that the back 4 were in a 4 bell frame of traditional design with the two trebles above.

These bells were until recently some of the loudest you will encounter in any ringing room!  There has been some soundproofing added recently that has made a considerable difference; thought they are not yet too quiet!

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 4½cwt 29.75" 1215.0Hz (D+58c)
2 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 5cwt 31.00" 1070.0Hz (C+38c)
3 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 6cwt 32.875" 959.0Hz (Bb+49c)
4 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 7½cwt 35.125" 899.0Hz (A+37c)
5 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 9cwt 36.625" 814.0Hz (G+44c)
6 Henry & Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 13cwt 41.75" 715.5Hz (F+42c)

 

Burton Hastings, St Botolph, Warwickshire

Burton Hastings Bells: 5; 6-3-9 in B
Grid Reference: 140/410899
Postcode: CV11 6XT
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: 6.00-6.30pm (Alt - check)
Recommended Pub: There are no pubs in the village. Best to look for one at a nearby tower in your direction of travel.  
Just into Leicestershire, on the other side of the M69 and on the A5 towards Hinckley is:- 
The Three Pots, a Harvester Pub, on Watling Street, Hinckley, LE10 2JQ. Tel: 01455 615408
Contact: Mr G Trevor, 11 Hall Lane, Wolvey, Nr. Hinckley, Leics. LE10 3LF

History Of The Bells

One of the more northerly towers in the Diocese this is a very pretty country church just off the B4109 near to J1 of the M69. It is in the centre of the village, straight on in the middle of a series of sweeping bends. This church has been relatively untouched over the centuries and any more than a congregation of around 75 would really fill it!

The bells form a nice ring of 5, rung from a small gallery, the stairs being at the left of the tower, inside the church. The metal "H" frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1937, at which time the existing tenor, a Newcombe bell of the late sixteenth century, was recast. The old bells retain their canons, whilst the new ones were cast with flat heads. The old bells have been quarter turned.

Entrance is from inside the church via the south door and a few cars can park in the road beside the churchyard wall. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-1-18 24.50" 1515.0Hz (F#+40c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 3-3-01 26.00" 1351.0Hz (E+42c)
3 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry 1657 4-1-06 27.625" 1275.0Hz (D#+42c)
4 Henry Bagley II, Chacombe 1687 5-0-01 29.625" 1135.0Hz (C#+41c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1937 6-3-09 32.50" 1011.0Hz (B+40c)

 

Butlers Marston, SS Peter & Paul, Warwickshire

Butlers Marston Bells: 6; 14-0-20 in G (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/321500
Postcode: CV35 0NB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: There are no pubs in this village. Nearby are:-
The Carpenters Arms, Banbury Street, Kineton, Warwick, CV35 0JS. Tel: 01926 640364, and, in the other direction:
The Chequers Inn, 91 Banbury Road, Ettington, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7SR. Tel: 01789 740387 and
The White Horse Inn, 52 Banbury Road, Ettington, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7SU. Tel: 01789 740641
Contact: Matthew Arnold, Manor Cottage, Butlers Marston, Warwickshire, CV35 0NA Click to Email

History Of The Bells

Another lovely rural church in South Warwickshire. Ringing is from the ground floor.

The bells are a nice ring that are fairly easy to handle. The original five were rehung by Taylors in 1891 in a composite frame, with wooden base timbers and heads and iron "H" Sections. The frame was extended and all the existing bells were rehung on ball bearings in 1948 by Taylors when the treble was added. At this time the poor sounding fifth, a Henry Bagley I bell of 1652 like the fourth, was recast. The Taylor bells were cast without canons and those of the other bells have been removed. The old bells have all been quarter turned. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-2-22 27.625" 1297.0Hz (E-28c)
2 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1662 5-0-02 30.00" 1156.0Hz (D-28c)
3 Robert Hendley, Gloucester c.1500 6-0-06 32.25" 1030.0Hz (C-28c)
4 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1652 7-0-26 34.00" 971.0Hz (B-30c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 10-1-01 37.50" 866.0Hz (A-28c)
6 Edward Newcombe & Watts, Leicester c.1590 14-0-20 43.125" 770.0Hz (G-31c)