Atherstone, St Mary, Warwickshire
|Bells:||8; 8-1-6 in A|
|Practice Night:||Please contact correspondent|
|Service Ringing:||Please contact correspondent|
|Recommended Pub:||Market Tavern, Market Street, Atherstone, CV9 1ET. Tel: 01926 450747 (There are plenty of other good pubs near to the church if this one is too busy)|
|Contact:||Mr F Gilbert 39 Holte Road, Atherstone, Warwickshire CV9 1HN. Tel :01827 712025 |
W Sanders. Tel: 01827 713562
The church is set in the Market Place and is therefore fairly easy to find. There is some parking in Market Place and there is a large free car park to the south of the church - the church photograph being taken from its entrance.
It is a pleasant church worth a short look before ringing. It is early 12th century in foundation. The chancel of the church was completed in 1385 as the church of an Augustinian Friary. At the Dissolution of the Monastries in 1538 this chancel ceased to be used for worship although the old nave was kept as a church. Following the granting of a school charter in 1573 the disused chancel became the home of the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School and continued in this use until 1864. The distinctive octagonal tower was built in 1782 to replace the more conventional square section one. The building of the present nave commenced in 1848 and it was dedicated on 14th March, 1850; it cost £3,000 and seated 1400 people. In 1884 the chancel was restored, joined to the nave and dedicated in 1888.
These bells replaced a single bell in 1960 at a cost of £2,500, and are very nice indeed. The metal frame is of mainly lowside construction, the the outside bearings of the 3rd and 4th are mounted on cast iron pedestals due to the size and shape of the tower.
The listed old bell - by John de Stafford c.1360, diamater of 45.75" and weighing about 16cwt in E (648.0Hz)- is preserved in the church. Its canons were removed and it was drilled through the crown in 1901 when Taylors provided new ringing fittings.
The way up to the bells is quite well hidden. It is half way down the church through an archway on the far left level with the chancel, sort of round the corner.
Ensure that you remove the clock hammer before ringing the bells. The pull off wire is behind the bottom edge of the blue clock workings in the window, with only a small painted notice to indicate where it is.
Unfortunately, due to the proximity of houses, etc. the bells are unavailable for peals. Requests for visits should be made allowing for some flexibility in timing.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||2-3-15||22.50"||1766.0Hz||(A+6c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||3-1-00||23.50"||1677.0Hz||(G#+16c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||3-1-13||24.50"||1479.0Hz||(F#-1c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||3-1-26||25.50"||1315.5Hz||(E-4c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||4-1-00||27.625"||1169.0Hz||(D-8c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||4-3-25||29.125"||1102.0Hz||(C#-11c)|
|7||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||6-0-10||31.625"||978.5Hz||(B-16c)|
|8||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1960||8-1-06||35.50"||871.0Hz||(A-18c)|