Bishops Itchington, St Michael, Warwickshire
||Bells:||5; 9-2-6 in Ab|
|Practice Night:||Thursday 7.15pm-8.45pm|
|Service Ringing:||10.00am-10.30am (Except 1st in month)|
History Of The Bells
A church in a pretty Warwickshire village, there has been a degree of doubt as to the ringability or otherwise of these bells for some time, but they were occasionally rung for weddings, etc. until 2000. There were cracks in the tower which had been a major worry for the church authorities.
A tower survey showed that a considerable amount of work, well over £250,000, needed to be completed and there were worries that ringing the bells is not safe and therefore ringing was stopped after the Millennium was rung in. The ringing room floor was reportedly simply sitting on corbels and the concern is that these might fail. Stonework had also fallen from the tower.
The church was awarded a substantial grant and the tower has had major repair work in 2010. Relatively minor work was done on the bells to refurbish them ready for ringing in February 2011. The bells are now rung lower in the tower than previously, as the large clock case in the old ringing room prevented a good rope-circle.
Prior to the installation of this ring there was only one bell in the tower. This was recast by C & G Mears in 1845 from a box of old bellmetal which weighed 2-0-21. The new bell was 2-3-19. The bells were retuned and rehung with new fittings in the strengthened 1874 wooden frame by Taylors in 1938-9. At this point the canons were removed.
Details Of The Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1874||4-1-22||28.25"||1280.0Hz||(D#+49c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1874||5-0-13||30.24"||1138.0Hz||(C#+45c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1874||5-1-19||31.50"||1073.0Hz||(B#-43c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1874||7-0-16||34.50"||956.0Hz||(A#-43c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1874||9-2-6||38.25"||853.0Hz||(G#-46c)|